A professional and experienced tax consultant in Chicago can make your life easier and bring you peace of mind. It is crucial, however, that you avoid shams or low-quality providers and choose a qualified, IRS-approved, transparent team of tax experts.
Whether you do it for personal or commercial reasons, hiring a tax consultant in Chicago can be a great investment for you, one that can bring you peace of mind, since you know that your taxes are handled by a team of experts specialized in tax preparation and tax defense services. That said, not all tax services Chicago based are equal, which is why you want to make sure you hire the right tax consultant for you. Here are seven tips that will help you make a choice you won’t regret later.
1. Don’t work with a tax consultant in Chicago if it doesn’t have a fixed address and a phone number where it can be easily contacted whenever you have a tax-related question or run into a problem with the IRS. So called ‘tax experts’ without an address may be nothing but scams, or inexperienced professionals trying to pass for specialized tax services providers.
2. Make sure your tax consultant has a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). Tax services providers who charge for their services must be registered to the IRS, which then assigns them a PTIN that they must use according to federal law on the tax return forms. The IRS requires any tax services provider to pass through a verification process before receiving their unique PTIN.
3. Never work with a provider of tax services Chicago based which does not offer you a complete copy of all the tax documents it prepares for you and sends to the IRS, including tax returns. Also, be wary of any provider which asks you to sign blank returns to “speed up the process”.
4. Choose a tax consultant in Chicago who has a good online and offline reputation, a good quality website, a prompt customer service, and that overall looks professional and reliable. Above all, look for a tax services provider who is transparent. You must remember that although the consultant will prepare and sign your tax documents for you, at the end of the day you are the one responsible for the data in them.
5. Choose a provider of complete tax services in Chicago, especially if you have multiple sources of income, run a business or more, donate to charity, and have had tax problems in the past. While a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) is a good choice for a typical tax payer, a complete tax services provider like the Chicago-based Defend Tax Payer has more experience in dealing with tax problems and offers a wide range of services that go beyond tax preparation, including resolving settle back taxes, tax liens, levies, and wage garnishments. To find out more about Defend Tax Payer.